Tuesday, November 12, 2013

News Evaluation: By the Numbers


After evaluating each of the big four local news stations, I have made these conclusions:

1.) If you like news, then WDRB is the station for you. WDRB covered 333 in October, which is by far the most stories covered. The next station with the most stories has more than 100 less reported stories than WDRB, which was WLKY at 206. WDRB led in every news category except for crime, which had five less crime stories than WLKY, which had 108. 
2.) WAVE is full of fluff. This station had a total of 184 stories, and 15% of the news reported was put under the category “Celebrity/Fluff/Other.” Before doing this project, I actually watched WAVE if I watched the news. However, doing this month-long assignment made me realize that WAVE is full of fluff and stuff.
3.) The amount of time designated for commercials, weather, and sports is too long. For the news stations, the average time length for this period is around 15 minutes, which is half of the show. Half. 50%. That is way too long in my opinion. The show is called the news, yet half of the show isn’t even that. I have a hard time comprehending this. I understand that people need to know about the weather and traffic, but do we need to spend 15 minutes talking about it? I don’t think so.

*The link for the news data is in the previous blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment